To return to the Milestones home page click here
Click on the pictures below to see higher quality versions
There are eight milestones on the A914 from New Inn to Cupar. All are of the older type, and bear the date 1824. At the roundabout the Newport to Perth road (A914/A912) crosses the A92 Edinburgh to Dundee road. The New Inn was demolished in the 1960s to make way for the road.
These pictures were taken on a chilly, windy, sunny day towards the end of April 2016.
An account of the walk can be seen here. (PDF file)
Between the first and second milestone the road passes Forthar, with its handsome cut-out sign and bank of solar panels, and the footpath to Rameldry Mill Bank. Looking back you see the Lomonds and ahead lies a straight road down through Kettlebridge. The railway is on the left, turning away due north, while the road continues to go north-easterly.
Passing another turning to Kingskettle the road leaves Kettlebridge and approaches Balmalcolm.
Passing Ramornie Mill, with the Lomonds still to be seen in the rear, the road approaches Pitlessie. The fourth milestone is at Crossgates, just before a turning to Ladybank and Letham on the left and a footpath going off to the right, up the hill towards Burnturk. The road on the right used to continue towards Kennoway, making this, as the name implies, a crossroads.
The fifth milestone is just after the road crosses a burn which goes on to join the Eden at Cults Mill.
The road runs through woods to where it meets the road to Springfield and the road that goes past Scotstarvit towards Caigrothie. The milestone is just before the crossroads.
The seventh milestone is easily missed. It comes between Tarvit Mill and and the new entrance to Damside Mill.
The eighth milestone is on South Road, Cupar. There should be a ninth in the centre of town, but it is missing.
25 April 2016